Sunday, June 3, 2012

Turning

Pirouettes don't like me, and I don't like them.  The main reason, is of course, that my pirouettes are far from perfect.  I'm practicing though, and hopefully, God has some improvement planned for my future.

Here are some tips to try: (I am still working on these.  You really need to find out what works for you and then concentrate on that.  Focusing on one of these aspects a week would also be a great idea.)

1.  Use your plie.  Practice engaging your gluteal muscles at the barre.  Feel the control of the rise and fall, then take it to the center.  Your plie should be just as it was at the barre - this gives you a firm foundation to spring from.

2. Don't sit!  Even though your plie is important, don't sit in it too long.  Feel the engaged muscles and then go straight into your turn.

3. Be on count. Since you shouldn't sit in your plie, make sure that your turns are timed correctly.  Don't stop too soon, because then you will have to wait to prepare.  Feel the counts, and try to be right on time.

4. Spot, Stop!  Control when you stop.  If you do not spot, you won't know when to stop, and if you don't know when to stop, you get confused, and chances are, you won't end your turn correctly.  Spot your turn, and keep your retire position.  If you lose the reitre, the turn will fall apart (I speak from experience).

More coming soon!  I will try and share as much as I can as I discover more about turns!

The joy of the Lord is my strength!

-Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment