Friday, January 13, 2012

"Did you know that doing the splits can make you flexible?"

He he! I couldn't help using this quote from my dance teacher. She was shaking her head at my class while she watched us try to execute that particular stretch.
So, this is how I practice the splits, as taught to me by one of my teachers. It has helped me keep my hips square, and made me much more flexible in the log run. Note: As all splits are, this exercise is done completely in parallel.
EDIT:  I have recently discovered that not all splits stretches are executed parallel.  I would suggest doing this stretch turned out, since you would want to be turned out when doing a grand jete, or any other split-type jump.


Step One: Prepare.
Begin by positioning yourself on the floor in a deep lunge with your back knee on the floor, and your front knee directly over your front foot. Pull your back foot back as far as you can, but remember to keep both hips facing straight ahead. Your weight is balanced over your front foot. Stretch for 8 to 16 counts.






Step Two: Shift Weight
From your lunge, lean back so that your front leg is straightly pointing ahead, and your weight is balanced over your back leg. Feel your front leg stretching forward. Stretch for 8 to 16 counts.










Step Three: Do the Splits!
From the position in step two, stretch your front leg forward into the splits position.
Keep your hips facing front the whole time! Stretch for 16 t0 32 counts.









Remember- always be properly warmed up before you do the splits. It is allot easier and you are much less susceptible to injury.

This stretch is great for practice in hip alignment. It has taken me time to get the splits and I'm still working at it, but it looks clean and nice when you get it.


The joy of the Lord is my strength!
~Pandy


1 comment:

  1. You for got what step 4 would be if *I* was trying to do these splits:

    Step 4: Call your wife to lift you off the floor and take you to the chiropractor! :-)

    ReplyDelete